Interviews……sleepless nights or exciting times!!
I was recently made redundant after working in my safe and comfortable job for the past 12 years. Owing to the ‘economic downturn’, I was released from my duties and found myself back on the job market.
In all, I think I attended 6 interviews and being quite out of practice, I found them a lot harder than I thought I would. I actually learnt a lot by going through these interviews and from the feedback I received. So I thought I would share my experiences and give you my top 5ive tips that may help you… so here they are:
- Attire – always dress smartly; wear a suit, as they say you cannot insult someone by wearing a suit, or a smart top and a skirt…..jeans maybe not the best choice!
- Refreshments – at the interview if offered a drink, always accept, but be careful!!!! I was quite nervous in one and when they offered me tea gladly accepted. During the questioning, I picked up my cup of tea along with the saucer and spoon. Having slightly shaky hands, I made the whole thing shake making a rattling noise, not good….and made me even more nervous. On the other hand, when an interviewer poses a difficult question, take a drink as it gives you an extra 10 or 15 seconds to think through your answer, and that is sometimes all you need to respond with a well thought through reply.
- Honesty – always try to answer questions honestly. If you start fabricating your experiences, I guarantee you will slip up as interviewers can go over some points again later on in the interview and you will have forgotten what you made up by then!
- Don’t know – if you do not know the answer to a question, simply say I don’t know and move on…..
- Be on Time – if not slightly early. The amount of times I have said to myself, ‘I know where that place is’…..never taking into account that when I get to the street, it may not be straightforward finding the actual building.
- Tips From Successful Job Seekers
- Start your day with a great tasting Latte
- Is it me or you?
- Are negative colleagues killing the mood? Here are 10 ways to handle the situation.
- Scared of change…………?
- 7 ways to ensure your Resume NEVER gets read.....
- Europe's trendy tourist destination...be the first to discover it (and how cheap it can be !!)
- Want to Lose Weight? Then Give Your Fridge a Makeover
- Not what you want to see at breakfast - A mouse in your bread
- Tell us your favourite way to lose weight